Today, the Gazzetta Dello Sport has published a list of 23 players who, in their opinion, should be selected by the boss Cesare Prandelli in view of the World Cup of next year. The selection was determined as if it would have to be done today. Certainly, the next seven months could potentially provide different scenarios for the team and change some names.
As you may see in the picture, the list reserves several surprises, such as:
– The inclusion/return of Morgan De Sanctis as the second goalkeeper. The 36-year-old, who seems to be having a “second youth” at Roma, would take the place of Federico Marchetti, accused of not showing in the national team the level regularly shown at Lazio. Salvatore Sirigu would remain as the third option for Prandelli.
– As of today, Christian Maggio, Manuel Pasqual, and Andrea Ranocchia would also be out, due to the recent poor performances. Instead, Mattia De Sciglio would be in, as well as Angelo Obgonna and Ignazio Abate, in addition to the regulars Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini.
– The return of Domenico Criscito would definitely leave Federico Balzaretti without options of going to Brazil.
– The exclusions of Marco Verratti and Alessandro Florenzi. The PSG midfielder would be the one paying for Prandelli’s investment on Thiago Motta. On the other hand, the Roma midfielder would not the perfect fit for his new style of attacking seen in the last two games against Germany and Nigeria.
– Alessandro Diamanti would also be excluded in the place of the more multifaceted Marco Parolo.
– Alberto Gilardino, ranked below Mario Balotelli and Pablo Osvaldo as the center forward, would be left out in the place of Alessio Cerci and Lorenzo Insigne, who could offer the team more variables in the sides.
Considering the 23 players given by Gazzetta, this would be the most probable starting line-up, in a 4-3-1-2 formation:
Buffon; Abate, Barzagli, Chiellini, Criscito; Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio; Montolivo; Rossi and Balotelli.