Kevin Prince Boateng has spoken out for the first time since he and former Milan team-mate Sulley Muntari were shockingly expelled from the Ghana World Cup squad.
On Thursday the Ghana Football Association (GFA) released two statements on their website announcing the players’ immediate marching orders. The reasons were officially that one had physically assaulted a senior staff member while the other verbally insulted coach Appiah.
However, Boateng played down the claims and expressed mild puzzlement at the decisions in an exclusive interview with Andrea Paventi.
The Schalke midfielder, rarely far from controversy, holds to the story that he and Muntari were sent home suddenly for something that had already happened days ago.
He also spoke in defence of the reported $3m cash that the GFA convoyed through Brasilia upon the demands of the team, who were apparently threatening a boycott.
“We were having a mini-match in training and I turned to Muntari asking him if he was the referee. The manager thought that phrase was directed at him and that I’d said something offensive. At that point he started insulting me in front of everyone, even though I tried to explain myself like Sulley was trying as well. All of the other players heard.”
“I believe Appiah has a problem with me and he was just looking for an excuse to send me away. Why send me home on Thursday if the incident in question happened on Sunday afternoon? He won’t explain it to me. If I’d done something that bad why not throw me out on Monday morning? I think it’s because we all met with the delegation and the president of the GFA and I spoke for 20 minutes during which I asked where the money we got from FIFA ended up.”
“Of course we’re all honoured to play for the national team but the way in which we travel, fly, our hotels… I don’t believe they spend much at all on our flights. I just want to know where the money that the GFA gets is going because they get a lot of money. If you look at other squads they can bring their families, they can enjoy the World Cup. We could not enjoy it. It has been a horrible experience. That’s why we went out, why we only got one point. It was impossible to do well.”
This damning interview follows up from the player’s hints that the Black Stars’ official line was not all there was to the saga. A quick look over his official twitter account (@KPBOfficial) will give you a clear clue as to his current feelings with regard to the GFA.
The manager of Schalke has said that Boateng will be motivated by his expulsion and will not play for the Ghanaian national side again in his career.
Sulley Muntari of AC Milan has not yet added his opinion but he seems to be on his midfield partner’s side; on Thursday he was tagged in a tweet by his team-mate accompanied by a posed photo of the two together and the hashtag #dontbelievethehype.
Meanwhile, the GFA is one of several names being whispered amid media calls of corruption in the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid.