- Three Things We Learned From Italy’s Win v Albania
- WCQ: Italy vs Albania Player Ratings
- Player Focus: Lethal Azzurri and Torino bomber, Andrea Belotti
- Player Focus: Sassuolo’s Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Player Focus: Italy’s brutish young striker, Andrea Petagna
- Player Focus: Davide Zappacosta, Italy’s Next Zambrotta?
- Match Preview: Italy Battle Albania In Group G Play
- The Story of Gianluigi Buffon’s Past and Italy’s Goalkeeping Future
- The Five Most Underrated Players On The Current Azzurri Roster
- Giampiero Ventura, Italy’s Most Forward Thinking Boss In Recent Memory
Chelsea and Manchester United battle for De Vrij
- Updated: January 9, 2017
The Dutch defender from Lazio is on the market.
A major offer is coming for Stefan De Vrij, but surprisingly, not from China. Chelsea and Manchester United are ready to battle for the Dutchman’s signature, not for January but for June. For president Lotito, his defender will not leave for a cent less than €60 million. He’s already given a clear indication of this to the intermediaries who will bring the offer to Formello in the future.
According to Goal.com, Manchester United and Chelsea are both shopping Italy for defenders. De Vrij and Manolas from Roma are players who’ve been on both club’s radars since last summer.
De Vrij’s case is interesting because he’s yet to renew his contract which expires in 2018. It’s putting Lazio in a weaker negotiating position and they may even have to lower his price tag within 12 months of his current deal expiring.
For Lazio, they know they must renew the contract to other keep him in Rome, or more likely to sell him for a higher value.
If an offer were to arrive for more than €60 million, it’s likely Lotito wouldn’t hesitate in pulling the trigger.