- Three Things We Learned From Italy’s Win v Albania
- WCQ: Italy vs Albania Player Ratings
- Player Focus: Lethal Azzurri and Torino bomber, Andrea Belotti
- Player Focus: Sassuolo’s Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Player Focus: Italy’s brutish young striker, Andrea Petagna
- Player Focus: Davide Zappacosta, Italy’s Next Zambrotta?
- Match Preview: Italy Battle Albania In Group G Play
- The Story of Gianluigi Buffon’s Past and Italy’s Goalkeeping Future
- The Five Most Underrated Players On The Current Azzurri Roster
- Giampiero Ventura, Italy’s Most Forward Thinking Boss In Recent Memory
Giaccherini says Napoli is proving it is “a great team”
- Updated: January 10, 2017
Napoli defeated Spezia 3-1 at the Stadio San Paolo on Tuesday night in the Coppa Italia Round of 16.
Emanuele Giaccherini scored his first goal in a Napoli shirt to put the partenopei up 2-1 in the second half. The goal was the eventual game-winner. Giaccherini spoke to Rai after the match.
The Italian winger seemed due to come off the pitch, but then scored the goal. Giaccherini said that games against teams in lower leagues aren’t easy.
“I was supposed to come off before I scored the goal?” Giaccherini said. “Better that it happened the way it did then. I’m happy because Spezia has players who could even play in the Serie A, and these kinds of matches are never easy.”
Giaccherini said though, that Napoli is a strong club and had a much better second half.
“In the first half maybe we were a little reserved,” Giaccherini said. “Within 10 minutes of the second half, however, we closed the match. This is a team that must fight every game to win. We must have this mentality against any team. We are a great team and we are showing that in every game; must think that we can win every game.”
Giaccherini can play different positions. In his time with Napoli, he has mostly played as a left-winger. Rai asked the player about the position he plays and what he prefers.
“Surely on the left I find myself more comfortable, but I try to adapt to wherever the coach wants,” Giaccherini said. “This has been my best feature throughout my career, to always be able to adapt.”
Giaccherini has not received much playing time since joining the azzurri in the summer. Rai asked him if he has thought about leaving the club due to the scarce playing time. The player admitted he expected to play more, but said he’s fine remaining at Napoli.
“Of course, I definitely expected to play more, that’s for sure,” Giaccherini said. “However, I’ve never made any arguments with the coach’s decisions. I try to work hard during the week and be a professional as it should be. I’ve always said I’m fine here, but it will be Napoli to make its own assessments. We’ll see.”
Napoli advances further into the Coppa Italia tournament with the win. The club’s next match will be against Pescara at the San Paolo on Sunday, Jan. 15.