- The 7 Best Young Footballers in Italy
- American Owners Look to Make Calcio Great Again
- What does the future hold for Milan fullback Mattia De Sciglio?
- Three key points from Napoli’s draw vs Sassuolo
- Napoli should strongly consider cashing in on Mertens this summer
- Matchday 33: AC Milan player ratings v Empoli
- Giovinco Watch #18: Seba “fired” up, dominates Chicago
- Zola: struggling to bring the magic to the bench
- Sold! Let’s Talk AC Milan Transfer Rumors
- Three key points from Napoli’s win vs. Udinese
Koulibaly extends Napoli contract, Chelsea eyes release clause
- Updated: September 19, 2016
The Senegalese defender will remain in Naples for the foreseeable future or unless somebody triggers his release clause.
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has announced via his twitter page that 25 year old Senegal Defender Kalidou Koulibaly has extended his contract with the Partenopei until 2021. His new contract also includes a €70 million release clause.
Koulibaly who was at the centre of multiple transfer bids from English club Chelsea. This summer his agent Bruno Satin announced that the 25-year old wanted to leave the Azzurri and join Chelsea.
Despite the demands from Satin, Napoli refused to give in and held onto one of their most prized assets.
Koulibaly joined Napoli in the summer of 2014 from Belgian giants Genk for just 6.5 million making 81 appearances for Napoli in the process. The 2014/15 season was a mixed one for the Senegal defender making 39 appearances in all competitions. However, the 2015/16 season proved to be one of the best defenders in Europe making 42 appearances for Napoli in all competitions.
K2 as he is affectionately known by the Napoli faithful has started the 2016/17 season in the same form as he ended the last, impressing as Napoli have topped Serie A with 10 points from a possible 12 and 1 point ahead of their great rivals Juventus.
Sources in Italy are already speculating that the €70 million release clause has been put specifically in his contract to allow him to join Chelsea in the summer of 2017. Should it happen, Aurelio De Laurentiis will again make a huge profit on a player signed for a minuscule €6.5 million, whatever happens next summer, Napoli will spend the 2016/17 season with a solid defender, 6 foot 2 inch rock Kalidou Koulibaly.