- Redemption Road: Simone Scuffet’s Second Chance At Stardom
- Insigne, Verratti and Immobile: The Tale of Pescara’s Lost Talent
- Three Things We Learned From Italy’s Win v Albania
- WCQ: Italy vs Albania Player Ratings
- Player Focus: Lethal Azzurri and Torino bomber, Andrea Belotti
- Player Focus: Sassuolo’s Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Player Focus: Italy’s brutish young striker, Andrea Petagna
- Player Focus: Davide Zappacosta, Italy’s Next Zambrotta?
- Match Preview: Italy Battle Albania In Group G Play
- The Story of Gianluigi Buffon’s Past and Italy’s Goalkeeping Future
Napoli, Hamsik: “We must look ahead and chase Roma”
- Updated: March 12, 2017
Napoli beat Crotone 3-0 at the Stadio San Paolo on Sunday afternoon.
The home side kept a clean sheet for the first time in seven matches while controlling possession of the ball. Lorenzo Insigne opened the scoring with a penalty after 32 minutes. Dries Mertens converted from the spot in the 66th minute before the Italian added his second goal from a Jorginho assist after 70 minutes of play.
Partenopei captain Marek Hamsik spoke to Radio Kiss Kiss Italia after the victory. Hamsik said it was good to respond to the team’s Champions League loss with a win and continue to fight for second place in the league.
“It was a tough week on the physical level. Today, we responded greatly. It was important to keep clinging to second place.”
Radio Kiss Kiss Italia made the point that in recent years, Napoli have dropped points in the league when involved in the Champions League. However, this year Napoli is already at 60 points in the Serie A with 10 games left to play. Radio Kiss Kiss Italia proceeded to ask Hamsik if this was a sign of the team’s growth.
Hamsik said one reason for wanting to gain as many points possible is to make a Champions League return.
“Logically, we want to compete on all fronts and get as many points as possible. We must return to the Champions League. I am very happy for the team. Today, all those who have been called into question responded well. Those of us that play more must always be ready, but they are the choices of the coach; you have to accept them. Everyone is a part of the group and are happy to be a part of it. This is the right spirit.”
Napoli has a new team behind it in fourth place in the form of Inter. The Nerazzurri defeated Atalanta by a whopping 7-1 score, dominating the game at the San Siro Stadium. They now sit in fourth with 54 points, and lead Lazio by a point and Atalanta by two points.
Radio Kiss Kiss Italia asked Hamsik about Inter’s victory.
“We must definitely watch our backs, but we must look ahead and chase Roma.”
Napoli will face Empoli away from home next Sunday, March 19 as it looks to keep the pressure up on Roma.