- Redemption Road: Simone Scuffet’s Second Chance At Stardom
- Insigne, Verratti and Immobile: The Tale of Pescara’s Lost Talent
- Three Things We Learned From Italy’s Win v Albania
- WCQ: Italy vs Albania Player Ratings
- Player Focus: Lethal Azzurri and Torino bomber, Andrea Belotti
- Player Focus: Sassuolo’s Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Player Focus: Italy’s brutish young striker, Andrea Petagna
- Player Focus: Davide Zappacosta, Italy’s Next Zambrotta?
- Match Preview: Italy Battle Albania In Group G Play
- The Story of Gianluigi Buffon’s Past and Italy’s Goalkeeping Future
Roma, Spalletti “Dzeko realises now he is important for Roma”
- Updated: February 20, 2017
Roma ran out 4-1 winners over Torino to maintain their current standing in Serie A.
Luciano Spalletti was understandably pleased with his teams performance, and paid a special tribute to Alssandro Florenzi.
Speaking to Mediaset Premium The Roma coach discussed the match and the effect the resounding win over Villarreal has had on the clubs performances:
“Our players did well this evening, as after that 4-0 victory at Villarreal there was the risk we’d start slow and allow Torino and advantage,”
“Instead, we started on the right foot and took an early 2-0 lead. Frankly, we could’ve scored more goals. If our thought process is we are happy with 2-0, then there is always the risk of allowing a comeback. We need to remove that thought from our heads.
“In order to be Roma and fight it out with Napoli, Inter, Milan, Lazio and even Juventus, you need improvements on every level and above all players who are as good as Francesco Totti was for us.
“We are accustomed to Totti, but if we don’t find the next Totti and more than one leader in the squad, we’ll struggle to step up.”
Edin Dzeko who has had a stellar season for Roma, scored once again and is now the equal top scorer in Serie A. His superb form has led Roma on something of renaissance and Spalletti paid tribute to his star striker:
“Dzeko realises now he is important for Roma, he feels everyone has faith in him. Today I made four changes from the side that played in Spain, but I could’ve changed many more, because this group is truly strong all the way through.
“Dzeko just needed some confidence, to feel loved and appreciated.”
On a negative note, the team visited Florenzi after he went under the knife for knee surgery and the coach is hoping for a swift and complete recovery of one of his star men:
“We had this number on the jersey, because he is with us in the locker room and on the field. We got to know what this man is made of.”